My Stint With Caramel Custard
Caramel Custard is one such dessert that works with minimal ingredients to prepare & presents you with wide array of flavors and textures to experience. This is a very common dessert that you would find at many places which serve Parsi or Irani or even sometimes Muslim cuisine. There are quite a few variations where people play with the textures & ingredients a little bit to present you with their special version. However one cannot over complicate caramel custard, there are two rocking stars on your plate – a silky smooth custard that will just melt away with each bite & a bitter sweet caramel sauce that amalgamates so well into this dish that you will end up thanking the maker every single time. With all those fancy names in this dish, you would be surprised to find that how simple this dish is to make in your own kitchen. Have a look at our recipe below 🙂
- Milk – 3 small cups ( for an exact measure use the cups in which you intend to create custard & fill it upto 80% of its brim )
- Sugar – 1 cup ( for making the custard )
- Sugar – 3/4th of a cup for making caramel.
- Vanilla extract – a few drops based on the strength.
- Eggs – 2
- Cinnamon powder – a small pinch
Steps To Make It
- Boil the milk with 1 cup of sugar & cool it down to room temperature.
- Whisk the eggs lightly until yellows & the white’s are mixed up and do not over do the whisking.
- Add a few drops of vanilla extract & cinnamon powder to the whisked mixture.
- Ensure that your milk is properly cooled & now start adding it little by little to this egg mixture & mix it slowly.
- Make sure your custard mix is properly mixed up & then sieve it through a fine mesh.
- For making caramel add 3/4th of a cup of sugar in a flat bottom pan with a few tsp’s of water to ensure that the caramel does not burn.
- Lay the sugar mixture flat before starting the heat & start with medium high heat.
- Do not stir it often & let the heat do its job of bubbling up your caramel mix. Once it starts bubbling keep a constant eye on this mix.
- Right when the mixture turns almost dark toffee brown you should take it off the heat & pour it in the custard cups carefully. Be very careful with this mix since it would be very hot & sticks very instantly to your fingers. I still remember my first instance of making caramel where I tasted it with my fingers & ended up with a nice burn on my fingers.
- Once the caramel is set in your custard bowl, pour the custard mix on top of it & cover it with an aluminium foil.
- Steam it for 20 mins in a cooker without a gasket with at least a few glasses of water to form steam/ you can even use a idli steamer to steam it.
- Cool it down to room temperature & then refrigerate it for at least 4 hours .
Steps To Serve
- You need to remove it from the refrigerator at least 10 – 15 mins before you serve .
- Loosen the sides of the caramel custard with a knife carefully.
- Use a plate to keep it on the top of the bowl & invert it to serve the delicious & decadent caramel custard with bitter sweet caramel to your loved one’s.
Do try this recipe & let us know in the comment how it comes out for you.
P.S The recipe is of my wife Shwetha who makes this delicious custard at home 🙂